At Timberlane Arts and Dance Academy, praise and positive reinforcements are used as effective methods of behavior modifications with children. When children receive positive, nonviolent, and understanding interactions from adults and others, they develop good self-concepts, problem solving abilities, and self-discipline.
High quality child care and early learning programs are important to preventing suspensions and expulsions in the early learning setting. Early childhood education programs are responsible for creating positive learning environments that focus on preventing expulsions and suspensions, encouraging partnerships between programs and families to support healthy development, and ensuring fairness, equity and continuous improvement to support children’s social, emotional and behavioral health.
It is recommended that early childhood programs focus on fostering social emotional development and responding to challenging behaviors by incorporating positive discipline practices and policies before ever considering expulsion or suspension from early childhood programs.
Guidance for prevention of expulsion and suspension:
In effort to prevent expulsion and suspension of children, Timberlane Arts and Dance Academy shall adopt the following, in policy and practice and in a consistent and non – discriminatory manner:
· Use developmentally appropriate practices that provide for stimulating and interactive
learning environments, diversity, age-appropriate expectations, small group activities,
teachable moments and knowledge of research-based evidence and best practices in child
development, early learning and education.
· Invest in professional development, training and education to ensure educators have the competencies to support children’s social and emotional health.
· Develop and implement classroom schedules that meet the needs of the children.
· Adapt learning environments to promote healthy social interactions with others.
· Develop healthy and nurturing relationships with children.
· Develop strong partnerships and relationships with parents.
· Develop and implement classroom expectations that are developmentally appropriate,
clear and consistent.
· Provide family engagement opportunities.
· Ensure fairness and equity.
Other Options Prior to Expulsion
Prior to the expulsion of any child from this program, the staff and director will follow these
· Reduce the number of days or amount of time in care for a specified amount of time.
· Conference with parents to discuss positive behavior interventions and development of
· Document efforts to prevent and reduce expulsion.
· Provide reasonable accommodations.
If an expulsion must occur, Timberlane Arts and Dance Academy will assist the child and family in transitioning to another program by identifying and engaging mental / behavioral health consultants and community resources to assist in determining the most appropriate placement for the child.
Timberlane Arts and Dance Academy’s expulsion and suspension policy will be clearly communicated to all staff and parents of enrolled children.
Employees - The Expulsion and Suspension Policy will be incorporated into employee / staff
handbook and training practices. The agency Director will explain suspension and expulsion
policies to all current staff and any new staff. All existing staff and any new staff are required to
be knowledgeable of the policy and will sign a statement acknowledging they have received and read Timberlane Arts and Dance Academy’s Expulsion and Suspension Policy.
Parents / Guardians – The Expulsion and Suspension policy will be incorporated into the parent
handbook. A copy of the policy will be disseminated and reviewed with newly enrolled children upon enrollment. All parents /guardians will sign a statement acknowledging they have received and read Timberlane Arts and Dance Academy’s Expulsion and Suspension Policy.